Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Angelmaker

After The Gone Away World took the spot for my favorite book read in 2014, I knew it was only a matter of time before I read the rest of the books by Nick Harkaway.  Angelmaker is in no way related to the The Gone Away World but it is absolutely its spiritual successor.

Angelmaker is to thriller detective stories what The Gone Away World was to post-apocalyptic sci-fi stories.  It takes a lot of the absurdist elements of his previous work, reins them in just a tiny, tiny bit, and casts them into a noir setting.


Angelmaker takes a little bit to get going and its absurdism dulls the thriller elements a tad (a tradeoff well worth it in my opinion) but it absolutely has some great payoffs.  Some fun moments include James Bond as an eighty year old woman, a heroic elderly pug, a clockmaker as the protagonist, and of course, a layered and thoroughly absurd conclusion.

When I finished it, I thought that it had perhaps a higher average quality throughout the book than The Gone Away World but lower highs but I also like sci-fi more than thrillers so someone with the reverse preferences might disagree.

Overall, I would give this book an 88%.

No comments:

Post a Comment