Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Freakonomics

I realize that I am a bit behind the curve, reading Freakonomics now.  It was the big thing to be reading back when it came out, back in 2005.  There were a huge variety of spin offs and other tie ins but then it slowly faded from the public perception.  It is always been on my "to read" list and this summer my curiosity was particularly piqued by a comment about how the book discusses the relations of names to career success. This was the straw that broke the camels back and finally convinced me to read the book.


The book as a whole was extremely interesting.  It beats the reader over the head with the fact that it has no unifying theme and instead just explores several issues.  Basically, the two authors use economic concepts in ways that they are not typically used.  While I did take a couple of economic classes in college, I by no means consider myself to have a background in Economics and it was perfectly reasonable so prospective readers do not have to be worried about not understanding the books.

The variety of subjects covered makes each chapter of this book a separate adventure.  They each build off of each other but they can easily be read alone or with significant time in between them.  Despite what finally encouraged me to read the book, that was not what I found most interesting when I read the book.  The chapter that was the most fascinating was the one on the sudden drop in the crime rate in the 1990's.  They conclude that it was, in fact, the legalization of abortion.  This is certainly not a reason that is immediately obvious but they back it up with evidence very well.  The book is full of insights of similar, but less controversial, quality. 

This book was fun, insightful, and easy to read.  I would give this book a 89%.


No comments:

Post a Comment