Friday, August 31, 2012

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Around three years ago, I watched the movie Blade Runner.  I know that there are multiple different editions and I could not really tell you which one I watched.  I primarily watched it because it is a classic and stars Harrison Ford, one of my favorite actors.  I knew it was based on a book but I never really got around to picking it up until this summer.

This summer I was in an environment with a lot more used book stores than the town I currently live in and I went a little crazy.  I am unsure of exactly how many books I bought but shipping them home came to about 25 pounds.  I went in one bookstore that had more than 20 copies of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which is the book Blade Runner is based on.  I snatched it up because, well, why not?  (Also, it had an abnormal cover for the book which I always like)

I have to say that I didn't notice this was a sheep until I got the cover for this post.  I just thought it was random blobs of color.  Suddenly, it makes way more sense.


While it has been a while since I have seen the movie, I felt that this book made more sense than the movie overall.  They definitely bring up the question of the difference between humans and replicants in different ways than the movie.  In addition, there is this whole strange religion that the movie basically ignores that allows the author to bring in some other concepts like the battle between entertainment and religion. 

Overall, this book uses its post apocalyptic setting to fit a surprising amount of metaphor, symbolism, and debate into its relatively short story.  There are certainly some parts that are strange, but if the reader can take those in stride, this book will give them a lot to think about.  I would give it an 84%.

No comments:

Post a Comment