Thursday, June 14, 2012

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

Tucker Max is a self-admitted terrible person.  This book is a collection of autobiographical vignettes from his life.  They are HILARIOUS.  While he can be incredibly rude and mean to people in the stories, he tells them in a way that they are laugh out loud funny.



In all honesty, I just picked this up because it was really cheap and I remember some of my friends in high school thinking that it was funny and liking it.  Their opinion was definitely justified as this book had me cracking up throughout, even in public places.  While the author can be exceedingly unkind, he freely admits that he is so, and many times the stories poke fun at him just as much as the people he is with.  One of the stories is literally titled: Tucker Has a Moment of Self-Reflection; Ends Poorly.  Just that title alone had me laughing,  The stories are all short and that makes them easy to be read one at time during short breaks in your day.

My one real complaint with this book is that it is clearly collected from other stories, without much editing.  Certain introductions are presented multiple times, for example.  However, this does make it nice to pass around or to show friends a personal favorite story.  My personal favorite part was at the end, when the author is describing the book tour he went on for this book.  He includes an email that his friend sent him about his adventures trying to stay awake on the drive home from a book signing.  That doesn't make it sound exciting or funny but I was almost in tears laughing on the bus.

This book is really funny.  However, I recommend you do not get it if you are not a fan of bathroom/sex humor, because there is a lot of it; drinking stories, because there are even more of those; or swearing, because there is even more of that.

Overall, for the sheer amount of times it made me giggle like a crazy person on the bus, I would give this book an 80%.

EDIT:  I just finished Sloppy Seconds, which is sort of a postscript to this book.  Almost like deleted scenes from a movies.  If you liked this, you will like Sloppy Seconds.  The ebook version is free on Amazon.  The book is a fun little read, but probably not worth spending real money on because it is so short and all of his best stories have clearly been added to his full size books so these are the bottom of the barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment